Queer-X Festival – art, film, music, politics and more to celebrate National LGBT History Month
The first queer global streaming TV network, Revry, honors National LGBT History Month in October with the premiere of the 5th annual QueerX festival, taking place Oct. 1–31. Celebrating LGBTQ+ music, film, politics, and culture, the festival–which has been touted as the queer SXSW (Billboard, Flaunt Magazine)–will take a unique approach to its screening and panel programming this year by going virtual, live, and free. The 2020 event–taking place 3 weeks before the American national election–will revolve around the theme “Rise Up” and will drive political participation through its screenings, panels, and activations.
Revry presents QueerX TV–a free 24/7 TV channel through the month of October which will host all of the festival’s “Official Selections” including international LGBTQ+ short films, digital series, and music videos. Audiences will have the opportunity to screen all entries and vote, in real time, on their category favorites. The globally streamed QueerX TV channel will also host other exclusive programming for the festival including Revry’s newest POC-driven panel series, Amplify Voices, which explores the intersectionality of black and queer identity through the lens of entertainment, sports, politics, and allyship. Other programming for QueerX 2020 will include virtual Happy Hours and its annual Powerhouse Industry Pitchfest presented by Final Draft–giving creators the rare opportunity to pitch projects one-on-one to top industry producers and production companies.
The festival will celebrate National Coming Out Day with the virtual and in-person premiere of QueerX Live!–a star-studded award show that will include screenings of the category winners from the competition, musical performances, celebrity coming out stories, and the presentation of the 5th Annual Revry Visibility Awards which honors public figures who have proven to be on the front lines of queer advocacy this year. The QueerX Live! show will premiere on National Coming Out Day across 250+ millions households & devices on the Revry apps–available in all major app stores (named “App of the Day” by the Apple App Store)–and on its 11 live TV channels on mainstream platforms (e.g. Samsung TV Plus, The Roku Channel, Comcast, etc.).
QueerX is a one-of-a-kind festival highlighting diverse LGBTQ+ works from around the world and facilitating important conversation relevant to our ever-evolving queer culture. Inclusive of the entire LGBTQ+ community, QueerX breaks the mold of other festivals by giving prominence to international storytelling, queer music, unique and free global access, and connecting underrepresented queer creators with the decision-makers in the industry. “The festival pushes boundaries by fostering connection and empowering queer voices,” shares Revry CEO and Co-Founder, Damian Pelliccione. “Community and a sense of shared identity are two of the advantages that being queer offers and its through this festival that we can give back by creating a space of belonging. One where artists, industry professionals and enthusiasts alike can connect while exploring the future of queer expression.”
Key Festival Highlights include:
- Oct. 1st-4th: QueerX TV brought to you by Lexus will premiere on the Revry channel guide and viewers will be able to screen and vote for their favorite selections from the Comedy, Drama, and Music Video categories.
- Oct. 5th -10th: The boundary-pushing Revry Original panel series, Amplify Voices will premiere and screen new episodes. The series embraces black and queer intersectionality across entertainment, politics, sports, and allyship and includes conversations with the authors of ‘For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Politics,’ and discussions about the shared experiences of LGBTQIA+ people in Music and Sports and how to best be an ally to the Black and Queer communities. Hosted by DJ, Activist, and Entrepreneur Joshua ‘Zeke’ Thomas, the programming will include panels with Political strategist / analyst, campaign manager, and Fox News contributor Donna Brazile, Iconic creative Director & Talent Developer Laurianne Gibson, NBA Hall of Famer Isiah Thomas, World Cup Gold Medalist gymnast Eddie Penev, and more incredible voices.
- Oct. 11th: On National Coming Out Day, the QueerX Live! awards show will air with musical performances, screenings of the winning films, as well as Revry’s annual honoring of influential celebrities who have made an impact on the community with the 2020 Revry Visibility Awards. A live QueerX @ the Drive-In event will also screen the QueerX Live! awards show in downtown Los Angeles with special pre-show live entertainment and musical performances.
- Oct. 17th: QueerX is thrilled to champion new voices by hosting its annual Powerhouse Industry Pitchfest presented by Final Draft. This virtual event gives any creator the rare opportunity to pitch a project face-to-face with top industry producers and decision makers. Only 20 pitch slots are available with top pitches receiving the Final Draft product as prizes.
- Oct. 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd, 29th – Each Thursday eve from 5pm-7pm (PST) / 8pm-10pm (EST), come enjoy this free Virtual Happy Hour by enjoying your own cocktail and connecting with fellow festival attendees, filmmakers and industry professionals.
Tickets Available Now at: www.queerx.com
About the Author
Bryen Dunn is a freelance journalist with a focus on travel, lifestyle, entertainment and hospitality. He has an extensive portfolio of celebrity interviews with musicians, actors and other public personalities. He enjoys discovering delicious eats, tasting spirited treats, and being mesmerized by musical beats.