Shine True – new series empowers the trans and gender non-conforming community
Shine True is an empowering makeover series that helps individuals from the trans and gender non-conforming community find a new look to celebrate their true identity, tracking the journeys of trans and non-binary young adults leading up to a big life event. It premieres March 22, 2021 on OUTtv and Fuse with eight 30-minute episodes.
Hosted by Canadian transgender musician, artist, activist, and life-coach Lucas Silveira (The Cliks) and gender non-conforming influencer, activist and model Richie Shazam, tracks the journeys of trans and non-binary young adults leading up to a big life event. The cast is made up of contestants from across Canada and the U.S.
Shine True will be a comrade in arms, helping each individual find their own unique look and, consequently, an authentic way to represent and connect with their true selves. Gender expression can be challenging to navigate for trans and non-binary young adults. In each episode, Lucas Silveira and Richie Shazam, along with mentors and role models, guide someone who is trans or gender non-conforming as they explore their inner identity and passions, which they convert into authentic self-expression and the ability to “Shine True.”
“OUTtv has a mission to tell stories by and for the LGBTQ2+ community. We’re excited to provide a platform for these stories to be shared with the world,” said Philip Webb, COO of OUTtv. “In life there is no guide or handbook on self-expression for us to follow, but we hope Shine True can inspire and show the importance of living authentically beyond the confines of a binary social system.”
“Fuse’s mission to represent all communities benefits everyone,” said Marc Leonard, Fuse Media head of content. “Inclusion provides members of marginalized communities with role models and an opportunity for empowerment, and it provides everyone outside of those communities the chance to learn from their journeys and their experiences. Shine True offers a wealth of perspective to everyone who seeks to explore their identity and express it beautifully.”
The first season cast is made up entirely of young people from Canada and the U.S. They are (listed in alphabetical order, with their pronouns):
- Azul (they/them) — confronts generational trauma and finds the “punk mariachi” within before their big art show.
- Fran (they/them) — connects with their inner skaterboi, their Filipinx heritage, and surprises their girlfriend with a romantic date night for their first anniversary.
- Jaden (they/them) — discovers ways to dress their new silhouette after recent top surgery, and then throws a New Moon party in Toronto to release the past.
- Juan (they/them/he/him) — learns about queerness and gets in touch with his feminine side with a little help from the Latinx community in Georgetown, Ontario.
- LaDon (he/him/she/her) — finds his inner diva on the south side of Chicago for a glamorous photoshoot with help from a drag legend.
- Prism (they/them) — meets an inspiring fat activist in and surprises their friends with a name change party.
- Ronnie (they/them) — gains a confidence boost and style upgrade to coincide with a new life chapter, inviting their Caribbean parents along for the ride.
- T (he/him/they/them) — steps out of the bedroom studio in Toronto and onto the stage after conquering their fears of shopping and performing with a gender-bendy makeover.
To promote the series and drive viewers to tune-in via linear, the first episode will also be made available for free starting March 17 in Canada on OUTtvGo (outtvgo.com) and the U.S. on video-on-demand (VOD), as well as on select digital platforms including Fuse.tv.
“An increasing proportion of the LGBTQ+ population, particularly millennials and centennials are rejecting binary identities,” said Brad Danks, CEO of OUTtv. “OUTtv is dedicated to reflecting the diversity of the LGBTQ+ community through our programming. Shines True embraces gender fluidity and celebrates individualism. We’re thrilled to be partnering with Fuse and VICE Studios to bring the message to a worldwide audience.”
About the Author
Bryen Dunn is a freelance journalist with a focus on travel, lifestyle, entertainment and hospitality. He has an extensive portfolio of celebrity interviews with musicians, actors and other public personalities. He enjoys discovering delicious eats, tasting spirited treats, and being mesmerized by musical beats.